University of Minnesota BS 1973 Microbiology
University of Minnesota MS 1975 Food Science/Biochem.
University of Minnesota PhD 1978 Food Science/Genetics
• Elected member of the US National Academy of Sciences, 2001
• Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal of Excellence, North Carolina State University, 2007
• Nicolas Appert Award, Institute of Food Technology, 2007
• Julius Bauermann Lectureship Award, Philadelphia Section of the Institute of Food Technologists, 2008
• Oliver Max Gardner Award, The University of North Carolina System, 2009
• Fellow in the American Association for the Advancement of Science; Institute of Food Technologists; and the American Dairy Science Association.
• Eli Metchnikoff Award in Biotechnology, International Dairy Federation, 2010