University of Minnesota BS 1973 Microbiology
University of Minnesota MS 1975 Food Science/Biochem.
University of Minnesota PhD 1978 Food Science/Genetics
Microbiology and genomics of lactic acid bacteria and their bacteriophages important in food and industrial fermentations.Functional genomics of lactic acid bacteria and probiotic organisms used for delivery of biotherapeutics.
Microbiology and genomics of lactic acid bacteria and their bacteriophages important in food and industrial fermentations. Functional genomics of probiotic organisms used for delivery of biotherapeutics.
• Elected member of the US National Academy of Sciences, 2001
• Alexander Quarles Holladay Medal of Excellence, North Carolina State University, 2007
• Nicolas Appert Award, Institute of Food Technology, 2007
• Julius Bauermann Lectureship Award, Philadelphia Section of the Institute of Food Technologists, 2008
• Oliver Max Gardner Award, The University of North Carolina System, 2009
• Fellow in the American Association for the Advancement of Science; Institute of Food Technologists; and the American Dairy Science Association.
• Eli Metchnikoff Award in Biotechnology, International Dairy Federation, 2010