B.S. (1978) Food Technology – University Josip Juraj Strossmayer, Osijek, Croatia
M.S. (1983) Food Science and Human Nutrition – University of Florida, Gainesville
Ph.D. (1998) Food Science – North Carolina State University, Raleigh
- Continuous flow thermal processing – foods and beverages.
- Continuous flow microwave heating, pasteurization, sterilization of foods and biomaterials.
- Development and implementation of particle flow monitoring and validation equipment, tools and software for continuous flow sterilization processes of multiphase / particle-containing foods packaged in aseptic packaging.
- Development and commercialization of novel, advanced continuous flow sterilization processes (multiphase aseptic processing using conventional, continuous-flow microwave and continuous-flow ohmic thermal pasteurization and sterilization).
- Development and testing of thermo-sensitive sensors and implants for evaluation, recording and validation of advanced thermal sterilization – in pack/batch and continuous flow/aseptic.
- 12 US, 40 International Patents
- Developed technology bases for 4 start-up companies
- Technologies lead to new product introductions in North America and Europe
- 1981-1983. Fulbright Scholar
- 1983. Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- 1983. Gamma Sigma Delta The Honor Society of Agriculture
- 1999. North Carolina State University: Kenneth R. Keller Award for Excellence in Research
- 2000. Phi Tau Sigma The Honor Society for Food Science
- 2007, 2009, 2011. National Science Foundation: IUCRC Compendium of Industry Nominated
- Technology Breakthroughs: Continuous Flow Microwave Sterilization
- 2008. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers: FPSA/FPEI FOOD ENGINEERING AWARD
- 2009. Institute of Food Technologists: FOOD TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
- 2010. USDA / ARS TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER AWARD
- 2012. Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists: MARVIN TUNG ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
- 2012. North Carolina State University: INNOVATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD