B.S. (1978) Food Technology – University Josip Juraj Strossmayer, Osijek, Croatia
M.S. (1983) Food Science and Human Nutrition – University of Florida, Gainesville
Ph.D. (1998) Food Science – North Carolina State University, Raleigh
• Continuous flow thermal processing – foods and beverages.
• Continuous flow microwave heating, pasteurization, sterilization of foods and biomaterials.
• Development and implementation of particle flow monitoring and validation equipment, tools and software for continuous flow sterilization processes of multiphase / particle-containing foods packaged in aseptic packaging.
• Development and commercialization of novel, advanced continuous flow sterilization processes (multiphase aseptic processing using conventional, continuous-flow microwave and continuous-flow ohmic thermal pasteurization and sterilization).
• Development and testing of thermo-sensitive sensors and implants for evaluation, recording and validation of advanced thermal sterilization – in pack/batch and continuous flow/aseptic.
• 12 US, 40 International Patents
• Developed technology bases for 4 start-up companies
• Technologies lead to new product introductions in North America and Europe
• 1981-1983. Fulbright Scholar
• 1983. Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
• 1983. Gamma Sigma Delta The Honor Society of Agriculture
• 1999. North Carolina State University: Kenneth R. Keller Award for Excellence in Research
• 2000. Phi Tau Sigma The Honor Society for Food Science
• 2007, 2009, 2011. National Science Foundation: IUCRC Compendium of Industry Nominated
• Technology Breakthroughs: Continuous Flow Microwave Sterilization
• 2008. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers: FPSA/FPEI FOOD ENGINEERING AWARD
• 2009. Institute of Food Technologists: FOOD TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
• 2010. USDA / ARS TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER AWARD
• 2012. Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists: MARVIN TUNG ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
• 2012. North Carolina State University: INNOVATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD